Our Green Schools Committee wants all parents and children to have a GREEN CHRISTMAS!! We would like to offer the following tips:
- We would appreciate if parents and children could bring in their used Christmas cards to us in January. All cards collected will be donated to Carlow Delta Centre and recycled for use next year!
- Recycling of real Christmas Trees: Check out Powerstown Landfill in Carlow, they accept trees for recycling free of charge until the 31st of January.
- Shredded trees can be used as compost or landscaping material.
- Recycle gift wrapping from last year or if it’s too late, keep this year’s wrapping paper and re-use it next year.
- Buy re-chargeable batteries and a charger, 1000s of tonnes of small batteries are still going to landfills after Christmas each year.
- Compost all your vegetable peelings this Christmas; it’s a good way to start preparing for your new greener year.
- Don’t leave electric appliances turned on or on standby when going to bed.
- For some family fun, why not make Christmas decorations from recyclable materials or upcycle old broken decorations.
- Don’t litter: bring banks, if the bring bank is full, bring your recyclables to another bank or call back another day!
Happy holidays everyone!!